Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday Rerun!

This post is from March, but I thought it was worth repeating.

Unemployment....it happens!

With the current economic climate there seems to be alot of unemployment. I certainly hope the new administration and the stimulus package will make things better, but I have my doubts. One thing I am sure of, things will be different in the coming months maybe even years. We "thrifty bloggers" (or cheapskates) find cutting corners, saving money, finding bargains a challenge and fun. For others it is a financial survival tool.
Anyway, back to unemployment. What to do if you find yourself unemployed? First, run do not walk, to the unemployment office. They can provide you with financial resources as well as employment and resume resources. Do not be embarrassed. As a gainfully employed member of society, you have paid for these resources, now use them. Second, tell everyone you know. This is the best way to find another job. Even if it is only a temporary or part time job. Third, take advantage of the free time to enjoy the simple things of life. I think one benefit of the current economy is, we have to enjoy the simple things. As for my family, we do not eat out as much as we once did. We now have dinner together as a family...what a novel idea! My husband now wears some of those clothes in the back of his closet he forgot he had. He thinks he has new stuff.
All that to say, if you become unemployed, do not be discouraged. You are not alone and you will survive.

2 comments:

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

I second everything you have said here! Since I have recently experienced unemployment after decades of gainful employment at two of the country's top Law Fims I can say this does indeed happen even to the best of us.

I can totally relate to your husband thinking he has "new stuff" in the back of his closet LOL! I've recently went "shopping" in mine and was plesently suprised at what I had there.